Cultivating a work environment characterized by cultural competence is critical for success in the modern business environment. Today’s workforce is more diverse now than it has ever been in the past, and is likely to continue to become more and more diverse in the future. Organizations and individual professionals are well-served by striving to create inclusive work environments where diversity is truly welcomed and people are valued because of their unique contributions and individual differences – not in spite of them. Cultural competence is the key.
Attend this half-day workshop session and learn about key dimensions of diversity that impact the workplace and discover what it truly means to foster an inclusive workplace through emphasizing and developing cultural competence. Key statistics, challenges and barriers to cultural competence will be covered, along with a practical framework you can use to become more culturally competent on both an individual and an organizational level.
Topics covered include:
- Prevalence and potential impact of diversity in the modern workplace.
- What diversity and inclusion really are
- Overview of key dimensions of diversity
- Areas where points of diversity overlap with points of law (i.e., protected characteristics)
- How cultural competence extends beyond legal obligations
- Common barriers to inclusiveness and cultural competence in the workplace
- Keys for developing cultural competence
- Factors that define inclusive organizations
- Communicating and developing work habits for diversity and inclusion
- Problems that can result from a failure to emphasize diversity and inclusion